Area subject to Land use change or Management/Practice change (ha):
- The low population density (60 inhabitants/km2 on average), the small and compact urban centres and the fact that buildings are fairly concentrated facilitate the needed intervention works. (Source: Anuario Estadístico, Instituto de Estadística de Navarra, (2012))
- Natural and physical conditions allow N5, N4 and N8 to be carried out in the months of August and September, taking advantage of the low river flow during those months. Also N2, N3 and F1 can be easily carried out during those months when there is no plant growth (from November to February), in order to guarantee the plantation success.
- The fact that most of the compromised lands are publicly owned facilitates the negotiation with landowners to acquire the plots and make possible the restoration activities.
- Since the selected case-study site comprise not very productive lands (most of them poplar plantations) make cheaper the compensation required for the loss of profits derived from giving up the activities developed in the floodplains to be restored.
- The relatively high GDP per capita (29,071 in euros) of the area inhabitants and the fact that The Navarre Regional Government has its own financing capacity influence positively in the development of the planned intervention activities. (Source: Anuario Estadístico, Instituto de Estadística de Navarra, (2012))
- The existence of a large riverside dimension and the large floodplains allows and facilitate the recovery of the river natural space.